Legal Education for Social Workers - Privacy, Confidentiality, Documentation, Reports and Court Appearances
Rural members: Please email the WA Branch to register for your webinar link
The AASW in conjunction with Slater & Gordon Lawyers is pleased to present this workshop which will provide the legal information you need to know to improve your daily social work practice. This information will assist you to minimise your legal risks and survive the court process.
- This session defines Privacy vs Confidentiality.
- Clients’ rights and your obligations: the duty of confidentiality; exceptions to this duty; and, when it is your duty to breach confidentiality
- Addressing the conflicts in confidentiality
- Documenting clinical notes and writing reports for court: content, access, storage and litigation.
- Subpoenas and your obligations are explained.
- Attending court, giving evidence and your conduct in court are explored.
The Slater and Gordon Legal Education Program for Social Workers enables participants to address the knowledge gaps that they have. Social Work has become an increasingly complex practice and as social workers have the role of a ‘trusted advisor’ to their clients, it is vital they are providing them with accurate information when it comes to their legal rights and entitlements. It is also very important in this environment that social workers understand the law as it impacts on their daily practice.
The overall objectives of the program are:
- to increase social workers’ knowledge, skills and confidence in recognising and identifying legal issues as part of the psychosocial assessment;
- to enable social workers to provide some base level information to their clients regarding entitlements under the relevant scheme/s;
- to understand practice implications of these issues;
- to use knowledge gained to inform intervention plans;
- to use knowledge to improve daily work practices;
- to demystify the law, legal processes and lawyers.
NB: The Slater and Gordon Legal Education Seminars for Social Workers is endorsed by the AASW (Endorsement Reference Number: AASW170103).
Karina Hafford is a Practice Group Leader in Medical Law and Catastrophic Claims based in the Slater and Gordon Perth office. Karina has been a lawyer since 1998 and has worked at the firm for 6 years. Karina specialises in representing persons who have sustained catastrophic injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries and multiple amputations. She is a member of the Law Society of Western Australia’s Personal Injury Committee and regularly promotes legislative change to maximise the rights of injured persons and their families. Karina regularly appears in the District Court, Supreme Court and State Administrative Tribunal. She has also been a guest lecturer at Notre Dame School of Nursing and Midwifery since 2011.
AASW Student/Retired Members: $20
AASW Members: $30
Please see details on the right of this page to register. 2 CPD hours.
This page has no comments.